Fort Lauderdale Creates Its First All-Black Public Housing

“In 1938, the city of Fort Lauderdale formed its Public Housing Authority. A survey of the Negro area revealed that 600 of more than 900 families were renting their homes. Approval for the housing program became a reality on May 28, 1938 after city officials took many trips to Washington, D.C. The local branch of the Housing Authority quickly completed its first two projects: the 150-unit Dixie Court for Negroes and the 108-unit Dr. Kennedy Homes for whites.”

Source: Across the Tracks: An Oral History of the Black Community in Broward County, Florida  by Dr. Gwendolyn Hankerson with the Council of Elders  Thema Production, Inc. 2003 p. 20